Maintenance and Upgrade Works at the National Art School
Update – Maintenance and Upgrade Works at the National Art School
The NSW Government is committed to preserving NSW’s heritage. The Former Darlinghurst Gaol, as it is officially known, was heritage listed in February 2021 and the site will celebrate its 200th anniversary next year. The NSW Government is undertaking a series of repairs and maintenance works at the National Art School site. These essential upgrades will ensure the site’s rich history will be preserved for generations to come.
These upgrades will begin on Friday 9 July.
Please find details below:
Friday 9 July: erection of A and B class hoardings along Forbes Street
Saturday 10 July: an arborist will be working on the trees that line Forbes Street and the footpath will be closed for this period
Monday 12 July: erection of scaffolding along Forbes Street
Once the hoarding and scaffolding is assembled, the sandstone will be replaced and remediation works undertaken, including cleaning, desalination, indentation, and repointing.
What you may notice as the project progresses:
• Works commenced in May 2021 and are anticipated to be completed mid-2023.
• Works to the heritage stone walls will take place from 7.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday except on public holidays.
• Works will also take place on Saturdays from 7.30am to 3.30pm, as required with approval from Council.
• Neighbours can expect to hear some noise associated with on-site activities, during the hours listed above.
• Access to the site for contractors will be via the Burton Street entrance.
• Contractors will utilise limited available parking inside the grounds where possible over the period of works, to minimise the impact on street parking in the area.
• Workers may access the site before, and after, the works period to set-up and deliver, or remove, equipment.
• We understand these essential works may impact you and your neighbours and we apologise for the inconvenience it may cause. We would like to thank you for your patience and cooperation in helping us provide a safe and thriving arts education facility for National Art School students, staff and visitors.
For more information on how the program might impact you, contact Cordelia Moss, Project Manager (Create NSW) on 02 8289 6594.
For information about the Scope of Repair Work contact David Mason, Senior Heritage Consultant (Public Works Advisory) on 0466 410203.
For information about the site in general contact Bryce Bentley, Project Manager (Heritage Stoneworks) on 0438 320 897.